Exterminating bedbugs with Pest Control Professional is the best option, but it’s expensive. If your home is infested with bed bugs, and searching for home remedies to avoid the high costs and chemicals, then using alcohol may be an appropriate alternative. For the best results, you may combine the alcohol with other home remedies, like steam cleaner. Because, steam cleaning is another method of bedbug removal. Now you need to know how to apply this alcohol. Find here more information about Alcohol Kill Bed Bugs Or How Does Alcohol kill Bed Bugs?
Does Alcohol Kill Bed Bugs?
Things You’ll Need
- Vacuum cleaner,
- Steam cleaner (Optional),
- Chemical pump dispenser or spray bottle,
- Rubbing alcohol &
01. Clean all infested areas
Clean all the infested areas with Vacuum cleaner thoroughly. Bed Bugs are more likely to be in carpets, draperies, mattresses, box springs, pillows and other fabric in your bedroom. Frequently remove the vacuum bag, because there will be a lot of dead and live bedbugs, their eggs and nymphs. So, keep the vacuum bag in a plastic bag, seal it & throw out immediately.
Find here a high quality Vacuum cleaner to buy a new one or replace your old one: Hoover Vacuum Cleaner – WindTunnel, T-Series Rewind Plus, Bagless Lightweight Corded Upright, Model UH70120.
02. Wash all fabric items
Wash all fabric items like bedding including pillow cases, sheets, blankets etc in hot water, and dry on the highest heat. As Bed bugs cannot survive at temperatures above 110 degrees; wash the above items at optimal temperature of 120 degree Fahrenheit to ensure their removal.
Items that can’t be washed or dried, apply hand-held steamer or professional steam cleaner.
03. Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
Dispense 91% Isopropyl or rubbing alcohol into a chemical pump dispenser if you need to cover a large area. Instead, use a small spray bottle if you don’t have a chemical sprayer. While you need to cover more areas you can dilute the solution, and then mix up 9 parts rubbing alcohol with 1 part of water.
You can buy 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol here: Swan brand – Isopropyl Alcohol, 99%, Pint, 16 OZ.
04. Spray all infested areas
Now, Spray all infested areas with the above alcohol solution. Treat also hard surfaces as well, such as headboards etc.
If you have chemical sprayer that is fine to cover large area. But for small area or few rooms a spray bottle is enough.
05. Repeat the same procedure
Repeat the same procedure with alcohol whenever possible & wherever you suspect bed bugs are existing. Even if you don’t see any bed bugs, you can still apply the treatment, as alcohol treatments with steam cleaning will improve your likelihood of eliminating bed bugs entirely from your home.
Tips & Warnings
- Remember, to make this treatment effective, Bed bugs must approach into direct contact with the alcohol.
- Repeat the Treatment after 2 weeks. Any eggs exist will have hatched by this time if they’re not killed in the previous treatment.
- As Alcohol can damage some finishing of materials, do a Test Treatment at first to ensure they are not damaging any surface.
- Other than this alcohol treatment you can kill bedbugs instantly with bedbug spray. Find here to buy a most popular bedbug killer: Eco Defense Bed Bug Killer, Natural Organic Formula Fastest, 16 oz.
Sources of Information:
- How to Kill Bed Bugs for Good – Bed Bugs Removal Guide
- Insecticides/Treatments – Bed Bugs
- University of Kentucky: Bed Bugs
- University of California: Bed Bugs
- United States Environmental Protection Agency.